Get a massage whenever you want! No need to wait for an appointment. These beautiful, simply-designed tools are amazingly useful, and run on the power of your breath. They are based on the brilliant design of the original MA Roller from the 1970’s. Whereas the original MA Roller was designed just for the back, we use these rollers on our feet, calves, quads, IT bands, hamstrings, hips, back, lats, deltoids, and neck. You really can get a full-body massage with these things. They pay for themselves with the first use.
When MA rollers were no longer available, we searched for woodworkers who could make them for us. We found a man in Wisconsin using maple and another wood-turner using reclaimed wood in Indonesia. We also started experimenting with the size and shape. We brought these variations to our Self Massage classes and found that people loved them all. Different size/shape for different people. If you have questions about which one is best for you, feel free to contact us.
We have 3 size options
- Small: 14” long, 2.6” diameter; Space between the ridges is narrower than with the Medium and Large rollers so these work great for smaller backs: children, teenagers, and petite adults.
- Medium: 15” long, 2.8” diameter. These work well for most people.
- Large: 15” long, 3.2” diameter. If you are a large person with broad back muscles, you will likely prefer this one.
- Maple: This is the lightest-colored wood. Hand-made in Wisconsin.
- Coconut Palm: This is the speckled wood. Because palm wood is very fibrous, these rollers may need a little sanding and re-oiling with frequent use. Hand-made in Indonesia from old, fallen coconut trees.
- Teak and Rosewood: These are the darker-colored woods. Hand-made in Indonesia from reclaimed wood. (see tropicalsalvage.com for more info on the wood sourcing)
Since these rollers are all hand-turned, they will have slight variations. In the photo, notice the different colored wood and difference in the shape of the ridges: some ridges are more rounded, others are more narrow. The rounded ridges will feel more gentle than the narrow ridges.
All the rollers have been given a coating of teak, coconut, or tung oil. You may re-apply coconut oil or other oil of your choice if the wood seems to dry over time.
When you check-out, please indicate your size and wood preference. Also let us know if you prefer the central ridges to be more rounded or narrow. We do not always have control over how these central ridges will turn out, but we will try our best to match your preference.
How to Use the Bodyworker
Learn more about self massage.